[Swift-user] assigning file variables

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 09:50:47 CST 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> it would be preferable to map t to what m is mapped to
> from the start

right. often (always?) the desire to do this kind of assignment comes from
insufficient expressiveness in our mapping semantics. in the foreach case,
I think my email suggests a reasonable alternative to assignments that
allows mapping to be generated inside of Swift. In the iterate{} case,
that in-swift expression is not possible at the moment, but could be. For
example, soemthing like the ext mapper that only maps output files, not
inputs, and calls a specified swift procedure to do that mapping. (thates
something that has been discussed before, I think)