[Swift-user] mapper for internet resources

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Feb 7 12:05:47 CST 2009

----- Michael Wilde <wilde at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Also:
>
>  >> Writing files will need to be to the machine where swift is running
> from.
>
> You can write files to any gridftp server by mapping to a gsiftp:// URI,
> as with input.
>
> As far as I understand, the gsiftp provider can support: http, https,
> ftp, and gsiftp URIs, with the gridftp data provider, <gridftp> in
> sites.xml.

The gsiftp provider only deals with gsiftp. There are other
providers for ftp and http, but I think http is in read only mode.

However, you don't need to care which provider implements a protocol
if it is supported. Just write the URL and see if it works.

> If the uri works with globus-url-copy I think it will work with the
> gridftp provider.

The cog globus-url-copy is built on slightly different APIs than Swift,
so that statement is not, in general, correct.