[Swift-user] Re: [Swift-devel] How to the maximum number of concurrent jobs allowed on a site to a fixed size?

Yi Zhu yizhu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 6 16:19:53 CDT 2009

Hi, Allan

Thanks for you reply.

I've tried the way you suggested, but it doesn't work as I expected.

Suppose I have a PBS cluster with 10 worker nodes,(btw. I don't have the
privilege to offline/shutdown those worker nodes), Now I want to use
some portion of workers nodes rather than all of them to do jobs that
are submitted by swift. The way i think is setting the value of
"maximum number of concurrent jobs allowed on a site" to  number of
workers nodes I wish to run. (e.g. If I only want 5 out 10 workers node
keep busy, I can choose to set the  value of maximum number of
concurrent jobs to 5 ,so there are only 5 jobs can be run on pbs
concurrently)

since I can not just set that value (i.e. swift use a formula to
dynamically calculate the value), I need find another way to sort it out.

Change the value of "foreach.max.threads" doesn't  work as we expected:

when i set it to 1, swift just freeze when started.
when i set it to 2, it seems submit job one by one.
when i set it to 3, swift submit 4 jobs at once.
when i set it to 4, swift submit 9 jobs at  once.
when i set it to 5, swift submit 16 jobs at  once.
when i set it to 10,swift submit 81 jobs at once.

-Yi