[Swift-user] max number of jobs?

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 23 14:39:41 CDT 2009

I can't help with the Swift or coaster settings, but don't forget that
Falkon is also installed on Ranger, and you can use it the same way that
you use it on intrepid. I have yet to do extremely large runs on ranger
to see how well things scale, but you might want to give Falkon a try as
well.

Also, I recall something about the development queue being limited to 16
or 32 nodes. The normal queue, which allows larger allocations, usually
also has higher wait times. Coaster might be configured to use the
faster development queue, which has a limited number of nodes you can
use. You might want to look into changing the queue Swift/Coaster
submits the jobs to. Perhaps Mihael or others can offer details on how
to change the queue Swift will submit to.

Ioan

Glen Hocky wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I was wondering if there is a cap on number of coasters or jobs in the
> queue on some machines. I've had a lot of success running on Ranger
> but I've never had more than 256 active jobs (i.e. 16x16) even with
> very high initial score and throttle settings.
>
> Glen

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department