[Swift-user] Running first.swift remotely on NCSA

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 13 08:59:41 CDT 2008

> I got "grid-hg.ncsa.teragrid.org/jobmanager" from here:
> http://www.teragrid.org/userinfo/jobs/gram.php I think it is just an
> alias for "fork".

That makes sense/

> I also tried to use "jobmanager-pbs", and I could see my job in the
> queue, but the same result "Progress:  Executing:1" on the client
> host.

Ok, that's good.

> >> [fedorov at ri vdsk] swift first.swift
> >> Swift 0.5 swift-r1783 cog-r1962
> >>
> >> RunID: 20080612-2101-yvp36l3c
> >> Progress:
> >> echo started
> >> Progress:  Executing:1
> >> Progress:  Executing:1
> >> Progress:  Executing:1
> >> Progress:  Executing:1
> >> Progress:  Executing:1
> >> Progress:  Executing:1
> >
> > This may happen if the callback address for you submit host is unknown
> > to the GRAM service or if you're behind a fierewall or NAT. If you're
> > not, try setting $GLOBUS_HOSTNAME with your DNS address or IP.
> >

> No, I have a valid IP. I do have $GLOBUS_HOSTNAME set now, but this
> doesn't help.

Well, your problem is somewhere around there.

> It seems that there is a problem returning the result back. I tried to
> set GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE to 45000,45100, as suggested here

I don't think setting them to a random range will help. It would need to
match an open port range on your assumed firewall.

> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/cn/grid/gr-gsi4intro/index_eng.html,
> but this also was of no help.
>
> Does anybody know what is wrong?

You'll need to do some more troubleshooting.
Id try the following:
- Start swift as you did before and wait for the job to be submitted
- figure out what port the callback service is on (do a netstat -lntp)
- log into NCSA and see if you can telnet to GLOBUS_HOSTNAME:port. You
probably can't. You'll have to figure out why.

Mihael