[Swift-user] Running first.swift remotely on NCSA

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 12 20:26:28 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 21:19 -0400, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a beginner user of TeraGrid/Swift, with very little experience.
>
> I am trying to run first.swift on NCSA Mercury. I updated
> etc/sites.xml with (what I think) the latest correct information from
> teragrid.org:
>
> <pool handle="Mercury" >
>     <gridftp  url="gsiftp://gridftp-hg.ncsa.teragrid.org" />
>     <jobmanager universe="vanilla"
> url="grid-hg.ncsa.teragrid.org/jobmanager" major="2" />

That doesn't look right. You need a specific job manager, such as "fork"
or "pbs". I'd recommend trying "fork" for simple testing.

> [fedorov at ri vdsk] swift first.swift
> Swift 0.5 swift-r1783 cog-r1962
>
> RunID: 20080612-2101-yvp36l3c
> Progress:
> echo started
> Progress:  Executing:1
> Progress:  Executing:1
> Progress:  Executing:1
> Progress:  Executing:1
> Progress:  Executing:1
> Progress:  Executing:1

This may happen if the callback address for you submit host is unknown
to the GRAM service or if you're behind a fierewall or NAT. If you're
not, try setting $GLOBUS_HOSTNAME with your DNS address or IP.

Mihael