[Swift-user] tcp.port.range in Swift 0.6

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 28 11:24:43 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 12:10 -0400, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Ben Clifford <benc at hawaga.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
> >
> >> It appears to me that Swift 0.6 does not handle properly custom
> >> GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE.
> >
> > I just tried 0.6 and a head build from about 24h ago on my laptop, and
> > both appear to respect GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE for the purposes of gram4
> > notification sinks
> >

> Ok, I don't understand what's going on. I am sure it worked with 0.5
> yesterday, but it doesn't anymore.
>
> This happens only for UC TG site though. I checked again netstat, and
> I do have port 50000 listening. I am also able to telnet to this port
> from UC, firewall is ok. The job is submitted and executed, but
> apparently notification doesn't reach my server.
>
> The relevant part of my sites.xml has not changed since the last time
> I had it working:

There is one change which might affect things, depending on your exact
configuration.

Previously, in cog.properties or swift.properties, the ip= setting was
the one to use to force a specific client IP. This has changed to
hostname=. However, a higher priority is given to $GLOBUS_HOSTNAME,
which is copied by the startup scripts from $HOSTNAME (if not explicitly
set).

This was done because Ben noticed that it may be desirable to be able to
pass an unresolved DNS name as a callback address, which should be
resolved by the servers when trying to... call back.

So if you were previously relying on ip= in cog/swift.properties, try
setting hostname= instead (it can be a numeric IP). Remove ip=, which
has been deprecated in swift.properties. If that doesn't work (i.e. you
have an improper $HOSTNAME) set $GLOBUS_HOSTNAME.

Mihael