[Swift-user] Resending: I/O errors in swift script

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 30 10:56:02 CDT 2007

Great - thanks.  That was indeed the problem: my application script had
a typo and was trying to run the 32-bit binary regardless what processor
type it wound up on.  When I last run successfully, I was getting most
or all i686 machines; this time I was getting ia64 machines.

I'll try to re-run it w/o debug, and see if the messages need improvement.

Kickstart would have helped here - would have told me that Im running on
ia64.

This is the kind of problem that on a local machine would have been
recognizable instantly but on a remote machine through swift, karajan,
globus and PBS is a much greater challenge to diagnose.  We should think
in terms of how to make that long pipeline to the remote execution
environment much more transparent to the user.

Think: "what would I see if I ran this locally" and "how do I bring that
environment to the swift user"?

Also noted that:

- the retry logic here did more harm than good. Maybe we want the
default for this to be off, especially during debugging.

- in my latest run, which succeeded, the final job completion was
excessively delayed. The output files were all back on the submit host,
4 of 5 jobs were logged as completed, and the completion of the final
job seemed to take a few minutes longer.

I'll work through the error logs more closely and file an enhancement
request in bugz.

I can batch these for later discussion or bring them as I encounter
things, whatever people prefer.  I dont want to distract anyone at the
moment into long discssions on these; I'll organize them into bug
reports and enhancement requests and file for discussion when we next
review priorities.

Ian was suggesting that this be soon - now is when we need to pick the
next features for you to work on, Ben and Mihael.  Maybe a review of
bugs and requests next week, which can be started by email discussion,
and we'll note which topics needs voice or f2f discussion.

- Mike