[Swift-devel] Standard Library Proposal/Discussion Page

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 22 22:42:32 CST 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-22 at 16:04 -0800, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> It is not clean, or at least I don't see how it can be made clean. In
> particular because no function in swift should behave differently
> depending on when it is run or if it is run multiple times. This is
> called referential transparency and it says that all f(x) will always
> have the same value when invoked with the same x. It is the only way I
> know to guarantee that the not-fully-specified ordering of execution in
> swift results in correct programs.

This does seem to fit into the idea of side effects contained into an
app specification. That is, however, another issue I think.

So I'm not sure. I would like to avoid contentious issues if possible.
Otherwise we might spent too much time on this. Can we keep it to stuff
that doesn't touch on filesystem manipulation and other known weird
things?

I think there are some functions on that page that are already tricky
and should be removed, so, that's probably plenty for now.

Mihael