[Swift-devel] Standard Library Proposal/Discussion Page

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 20 18:56:20 CST 2015

Hi,

I made a wiki page on github where we could discuss the standard
library: https://github.com/swift-lang/swift-k/wiki/StandardLibrary

It's a draft and there are some rough edges. In particular:

- regular expression support: substitutions can be done either directly
or with a combination between a function that returns capture groups and
a formatting function that replaces certain tokens with elements of an
array. One could overload the format() function to, in addition to
standard formatting specs, also support something like %s[index]. Or
have a separate formatting function that only deals with this specific
problem. I'm not sure.

- some of the array functions may be difficult to implement as
specified, or there may be different functions that solve the problems
better. In particular when joining arrays of arrays, there is some
freedom in how to order the elements of the resulting array.

- read and write: it may not be easy to implement a read that can return
any type in T. There is some precedent in other languages that support
serialization for this.

Anyway, I added red exclamation marks and red question marks where
things aren't quite clear.

I'm assuming that most of us will agree on most of the things. However,
if you have a wildly different proposal, it might be wise to create
another page instead of editing this one.

Mihael