[Swift-devel] FQNs use in Swift

Michael Wilde wilde at anl.gov
Mon Jun 23 12:29:21 CDT 2014

This all sounds good, so best to keep going.

But regarding maxParallelJobs and initialParallelJobs, lets keep the
names in sync with 0.95.

There we used the term "task" to indicate a Swift function invocation
(usually an app task) and "job" to mean a site resource manager job.

- Mike

On 6/23/14, 12:10 PM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 11:00 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
>> OK, I see what you want to do here, and why.
>>
>> What you're proposing will make the internals cleaner, and would be a
>> chance to harmonize the user-visible and internal property names.
>>
>> If we do this now, in trunk, presumably 0.96 will have the new names.
>> So that would put a stake in the ground for conversion or all users to
>> the new config mechanism.
>>
>> What should we do for backwards compatibility?
> I was asking myself the same question. Initially, I wanted to allow both
> old and new configurations, and translate internally, but I believe that
> would make the code messy for what is essentially a one time operation
> for a limited number of users (due to the new config mechanism)...
>
>>    My inclination would be
>> to provide a tool to convert sites.xml + tc.data into the new config
>> format, and urge users to convert.
> ... so I reasoned that we could do just what you say above.
>
>> Whats the development time needed for this?
> Small-ish. I did most of it yesterday. I was under the impression that I
> was fixing the coaster stuff, but it led me here. Let me stress again,
> the coaster stuff really needs fixing. This is, to me, acceptable
> collateral damage.
>
>> Will it make code maintenance and enhancement easier?
> That's my take on it, although that code isn't touched much.
>
>> Currently, finding property values (eg, within provider code) has been a
>> surprisingly large obstacle to provider enhancement and support. If this
>> fixes that problem (which also requires developer documentation) it will
>> be worthwhile, if its affordable.
> I was thinking about that too. It is related in that provider properties
> are now separate from other task properties, so it would be easier to
> add some API to get a list of what each provider supports and to use
> that to validate sites files without having to keep a separate account
> of provider properties.
>
> Mihael
>
> PS: While we're at it, jobThrottle and initialScore are being "replaced"
> with maxParallelJobs and initialParallelJobs.

Mathematics and Computer Science          Computation Institute
Argonne National Laboratory               The University of Chicago