[Swift-devel] Notes from trying new config

Yadu Nand yadudoc1729 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 23:12:28 CDT 2014

The issues I raised are mostly resolved:

1. I don't see warnings about lazy.errors / lazyErrors,
2. I think workDirectory errors were alright, and is better off as a
required option.
3. I got the filesystem.type options for docs.
The docs also now explain how to use -sites to pick the site from the
config.

Now that Mihael is on the thread, I'd like to point out that the nesting
and braces are excessive.
In case of execution options, I don't see why there has to be a separate
group under execution. Same is the case with
jobOptions nested under options. Here's the config I'm using as an example :

site.cloud {
    execution {
        type:"coaster"
        jobManager: "local:ec2-cloud"
        options {
            maxJobs: 10
            tasksPerNode: 4
            workerLoggingLevel: TRACE
            workerLoggingDirectory: /tmp
            jobOptions {
                ec2CredentialsFile:
${env.HOME}/.ssh/boto-test-credentials.csv
                ec2SecurityGroup: swift_security_group1
                ec2KeypairName: swift-test-pair
                ec2KeypairFile: ${env.HOME}/swift-test-pair.pem
                ec2WorkerImage: ami-23700813
                ec2WorkerType: t1.micro
            }
        }
    }

    # Latest trunk won't run without the next two:
    execution.retries: 2
    wrapperlog.always.transfer: False

    initialParallelTasks: 10
    maxParallelTasks: 20
    filesystem.type: swift
    workDirectory: /tmp/swift-trunk-test
    staging: "local"
    app.ALL {executable: "*"}
}

sites: cloud

Thanks,
Yadu

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Tim Armstrong <tim.g.armstrong at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't think I saw one.
>
> - Tim
>

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Mihael Hategan <hategan at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> Was there ever a reply from me on this? I have one in my "Sent" folder,
>> but I don't see it on the mailing list.
>>
>> Mihael
>>
>> On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 17:36 -0500, Yadu Nand Babuji wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I just tried to run some test scripts using trunk and these are my
>> > observations:
>> >
>> > I copied the swift.conf file from the configuration section in the trunk
>> > userguide.
>> >
>> > 1. I got an error about lazy.errors=false. Found that lazy.errors has
>> > been replaces by lazyErrors. Minor doc mismatch here.
>> > 2. Then I got a swift.conf:2 missing mandatory property
>> > 'site.local.workDirectory'
>> > 3. Then this -> swift.conf:2 missing mandatory property
>> > 'site.local.filesystem.type'
>> >      - This one is missing documentation as well.
>> >
>> > I like that there are sensible error messages, but at the same time I
>> > feel that the config file has gotten a bit more verbose
>> > that the 0.95 swift.properties. I really like the 0.95 feature where you
>> > could have several sites defined in your config file, and
>> > then you choose what sites to run on from the commandline using
>> > -sites=<sites1, ...>. This makes the commandline very
>> > simple and helps with tutorials and demos.
>> >
>> > I could not get past this error once it looked like the config was
>> fixed.
>> >
>> > swift -config swift.conf sanity.swift
>> > Swift trunk swift-r8021 cog-r4025 (cog modified locally)
>> > RunID: run014
>> > Could not start execution:
>> >      Import of 'swift.k' failed, import @ sanity.kml, line: 5:
>> >      Invalid node definition class:
>> > org.griphyn.vdl.karajan.lib.Mapping$Cons, def @ swift.k, line: 91:
>> >      org.griphyn.vdl.karajan.lib.Mapping$Cons
>> >

>> > -Yadu

Yadu Nand B