[Swift-devel] Issues to resolve for the 0.96 config mechanism

Michael Wilde wilde at anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 14:14:13 CDT 2014

On 7/16/14, 1:04 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll be in New York for the remainder of the week and returning Monday
> (21st). I might sporadically work on this, but in all likelihood commits
> will come after that. However, I wanted so sync on the latest spec:
>
> * releaseConf=$SWIFT_HOME/etc/swift.conf
> siteConf=$SWIFT_SITE_CONF (if $SWIFT_SITE_CONF defined)
> userConf=$HOME/.swift/swift.conf (if present)
> runConf=$PWD/swift.conf (if present)
> -config
...and then specific command line options.  Should all conf options be
allowed, exactly as in the conf file? Or just all "scalar" options?
Should we move to a -D notation for specifying conf options on the
command line, or leave as-is?
> * The configs should be chained automatically.
>
> * Documentation updated, in particular copying and updating the 0.95
> section on the search path and documenting swift-convert-config and how
> to migrate from pre-0.95 files. The tool should also be updated to
> accept and convert 0.95 configs.
>
> * -noReleaseConf, -noSiteConf, -noUserConf, -noRunConf command-line
> flags to be added. Please comment on the equivalent properties and the
> difficulty in implementing them. If you feel it's important, it might be
> worth conquering those difficulties.
Lets drop these. On re-consideration, they seem too complex.

> * line numbers for properties in -listconfig and log.
Good idea.

> Things that might still merit some discussion:
>
> * -listconfig <files|full> (this is a proposal to add a parameter to
> -listconfig that specifies whether only a list of files or a list of
> files and all options should be printed).
sounds ok

> * Also please comment on the -config file vs. -config file1:file2... and
> the need for -reconfig. I can't quite tell whether these were meant to
> be discussed or not, and if yes, where we are with that.
How about the following alternative to the above:

-config file replaces $PWD/swift.conf in the search path

-configpath file:file:file replaces the full search path with the
specified path

SWIFT_CONF_PATH env var does the same thing as -configpath

This seems simpler.  Either accept the default search path, or specify
your own.

There may be a few interactions between these that we would need to
fully specify, but it seems like the right track.

For now, Im happy with just "-config file". The other two could be done
at a later time.

> - another question is whether we want properties (in -listconfig and
> log) to be printed as a flat set of dotted properties or grouped. In
> other words:
>
> site.one.workDirectory = ..
> site.one.staging = ...
>
> or
>
> site.one {
>    workDirectory = ...
>    staging = ...
> }
The second is nicer; the first seems easier to code. Both are OK for now.

- Mike

> Mihael

Mathematics and Computer Science          Computation Institute
Argonne National Laboratory               The University of Chicago