[Swift-devel] Issues to resolve for the 0.96 config mechanism

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 01:04:12 CDT 2014

Hi,

I'll be in New York for the remainder of the week and returning Monday
(21st). I might sporadically work on this, but in all likelihood commits
will come after that. However, I wanted so sync on the latest spec:

* releaseConf=$SWIFT_HOME/etc/swift.conf
siteConf=$SWIFT_SITE_CONF (if $SWIFT_SITE_CONF defined)
userConf=$HOME/.swift/swift.conf (if present)
runConf=$PWD/swift.conf (if present)
-config

* The configs should be chained automatically.

* Documentation updated, in particular copying and updating the 0.95
section on the search path and documenting swift-convert-config and how
to migrate from pre-0.95 files. The tool should also be updated to
accept and convert 0.95 configs.

* -noReleaseConf, -noSiteConf, -noUserConf, -noRunConf command-line
flags to be added. Please comment on the equivalent properties and the
difficulty in implementing them. If you feel it's important, it might be
worth conquering those difficulties.

* line numbers for properties in -listconfig and log.

Things that might still merit some discussion:

* -listconfig <files|full> (this is a proposal to add a parameter to
-listconfig that specifies whether only a list of files or a list of
files and all options should be printed).

* Also please comment on the -config file vs. -config file1:file2... and
the need for -reconfig. I can't quite tell whether these were meant to
be discussed or not, and if yes, where we are with that.

- another question is whether we want properties (in -listconfig and
log) to be printed as a flat set of dotted properties or grouped. In
other words:

site.one.workDirectory = ..
site.one.staging = ...

or