[Swift-devel] SSH-CL with port forwarding

Yadu Nand yadudoc1729 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:59:22 CDT 2014

Hi Justin,

I'm not sure why you are using ssh-cl, but I'm guessing that you want to
get around firewall / auth issues.

The configuration I use is coaster-service running on remote machine, with
an ssh-tunnel between the remote machine and the local machine.

Here are the steps. Assume you are on localmachine and you want to run on
remotemachine

# start ssh tunnel to forward the port swift is going to use to connect to
the coaster-service
ssh -L 51001:remotemachine:51001 user at remotemachine

# start the coaster-service in passive mode
# Make sure you use a recent swift-0.95 version
coaster-service -p 51001 -localport 51005 -nosec -passive &>
coaster-service.logs &

# Start the worker , once connected worker would appear to be stuck
worker.pl http://localhost:51005 0099 ~/workerlog

# At this point you could try running a swift script on the remotemachine
to check if the
# setup is done right, with the following sites.xml file

<config xmlns="http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/SwiftSites">
  <pool handle="coasters">
    <execution provider="coaster-persistent" url="http://localhost:51001"
jobmanager="local:local"/>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="workerManager">passive</profile>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="jobsPerNode">4</profile>
    <profile namespace="karajan" key="initialScore">10000</profile>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="maxwalltime">00:05:00</profile>
    <profile namespace="karajan" key="jobThrottle">8.10</profile>
    <workdirectory>./swiftwork</workdirectory>
  </pool>
</config>

The same sites.xml should work for you on localmachine.

I tested this between crush and grind, with the latest swift-0.95 version.

Thanks,
​Yadu

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Justin M Wozniak <wozniak at mcs.anl.gov>wrote:

> Hi all
>      I'm trying to get SSH-CL going with port forwarding.  I think I
> just need to tell Coasters which port to use for the bootstrap
> connection.  I'm doing:
>
> sites.xml:
>
>    <pool handle="grind">
>      <execution provider="coaster" jobmanager="ssh-cl:local"
> url="grind.mcs.anl.gov"/>
>
>  > ssh -L 50001:localhost:50001 grind
>  > export GLOBUS_HOSTNAME=localhost
>  > export GLOBUS_TCP_PORT_RANGE=50000,50002
>
> I either get:
>
> Failed to download bootstrap jar from http://localhost:50002
>
> if the ports do not line up or:
>
> java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: No free ports available.
>
> if I make the range too restrictive.
>
> How should I set this up?  I cannot change the firewall rules.
>
> Or should I consider doing this with a local coaster service and manual
> coasters?
>
>      Thanks
>      Justin
>
> --