[Swift-devel] interpreting swift error message

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 11 14:32:38 CDT 2013

There is something strange going on in your test which we need to diagnose.

In your example, the app ("java") should be writing something to stdout.

So its hard to see how swift could produce the error you show. We'll need to look into and and will need all the files you used, in addition to what Ketan asked for.

I tried two tests to see whats happening. In my first test, I had a simple shell app that, like your java example, expected something on stdout.  I tested with a app() that did nothing on stdout. It yielded an empty file, as I would expect it to (not an error).

I also tried to do what it looks like you are trying, but just using shell commands. That also worked as expected, and is below.  So something is odd somewhere in your test, either a swift bug or something subtle in the calling of java.

Here's my working "max temp" example:

$ cat max.swift
type file;

app (file o) maxT(file i)
{
  sh "-c" @strcat("sort -nr ", @filename(i), " | head -1") stdout=@filename(o);
}

file maxtemp<"maxtemp.txt">;
file intemps<"temperatures.data">;

maxtemp = maxT(intemps);
$ cat tc.sh
localhost sh /bin/sh null null null
$ cat temperatures.data
98.6
101.2
97.1
104.4
32.0
212.1
$ rm maxtemp.txt
$ swift -tc.file tc.sh max.swift
Swift 0.94 swift-r6362 cog-r3637

RunID: 20130311-1926-9mre8yxg
Progress:  time: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:26:34 +0000
Final status: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:26:35 +0000  Finished successfully:1
$ cat maxtemp.txt
212.1
$