[Swift-devel] app semantics

Tim Armstrong tim.g.armstrong at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 08:16:05 CDT 2013

FWIW in Swift/T we allow arbitrary expressions in the app command line,
mainly for expressiveness/convenience (e.g. you can call another app
function from within an app function).  We don't allow multiple statements:
the main reason against that would be that the complexity of the language
increases and you end up with a language-within-a-language.

In Swift/T we can actually deal with the temporary file situation above
with a compile-time optimization.  It's a bit complicated and depends on
some other, more general, transformations taking place.  The chain of
reasoning is "Command B depends on command A, so we should defer any
execution until after A finishes" => "Command B will definitely have its
input dependencies filled once A finishes, so we can launch B immediately
after A finishes" => "We can merge B into A since they're sequentially
dependent.  If there's a task C that's also sequentially dependent on A,
have to pick one" => "The result of A isn't needed outside this scope, so
don't need to copy out".  The nice thing about this is that it works
anywhere you have a pipeline of tasks in your code.

I've thought in the past about the idea of supporting shell statements
inline in any Swift function.  To fit it in the grammar you would have to
change the syntax slightly (e.g. prefix it with keyword exec).  You would
also need to have some way of identifying which files are output files.

exec sh "-c" strcat("a ", @filename(inf), " | b ") stdout(@outf);

- Tim