[Swift-devel] Work directory on a non-shared filesystem

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 7 21:43:02 CST 2013

_swiftwrap needs to make it to the compute nodes somehow.

The scenarios you list below make sense:
1. work dir on shared fs, scratch on /tmp: _swiftwrap is accessed
through the shared fs so it works.
2. provider staging with workdir and scratch on /tmp: _swiftwrap is
staged in by coasters, so that works too.
3. no provider staging, workdir and scratch on /tmp: _swiftwrap has no
way of making it to the compute node, so 127 (command/function not found
- see COMMAND EXECUTION section of man bash).

That's standard stuff. A hack would be to install _swiftwrap along with
the app and convince swift to run that instead of its own swiftwrap.
That might require hacking vdl-int.k, around line 502. Let me know if
you want to go that route, and we can chat on how to get it done.

Mihael