[Swift-devel] Knowledge lab app on Midway using new swift-config

David Kelly davidk at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 13 21:44:27 CST 2013

Hey Yadu,

Glad you were able to give it a try and get things working. Just a few
notes:

 2. Some settings were off when using my Swift-0.95 build. I had to module
> load swift and swift-conf, to get echo to be recognized as an app. Python
> still would throw the error "application "python" is not available for any
> site/pool in your tc.data catalog". This error should be corrected to point
> at swift.properties instead.

With Swift 0.95, swift.properties files get read in the following order:

   1. The etc/swift.properties file included with the Swift distribution
   2. $SWIFT_SITE_CONF/swift.properties - used for defining site templates.
   3. $HOME/.swift/swift.properties
   4. swift.properties in your current directory
   5. Any property file you point to with the command line argument
   "-properties <file>"

As the swift.properties files get read, new settings override previous
settings.

When you load the swift 0.95RC1 module on Midway, $SWIFT_SITE_CONF gets set
which contains all the information about midway. If you wanted to avoid
local swift.properties.

I think there's an argument to be made for including site definitions for
all of the sites we support in the standard Swift package, rather than
relying on them being loaded in a module.

The problem you were running into with apps not being found is a misleading
bug with the new config. If you say:

site=westmere
site.westmere.slurm.exclusive=false

But you don't have the rest of westmere defined elsewhere in your
properties path, you'll get only a partial sites.xml that doesn't have
things like jobmanager defined. For some reason this triggers the app not
found error. The fix is probably to add a check to make sure a site has
certain mandatory properties defined or throw an error (jobmanager and
workdir at least?).

> 3. The .rlog file shows up the user directory. Can we have this to go to
> the run* dir.
> Occasionally .d folders also show up.

The rlog and *.d folder issues have been fixed in svn (after RC1).

> 4. Why does a swift.log file show up in the user dir? It contains no
> useful info.

The swift.log isn't created anymore with 0.95 or trunk (hooray!). That may
have been generated when running with 0.94?

Thanks for testing it out, please keep the feedback coming! :-)