[Swift-devel] user guide re-write

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 17 17:01:28 CDT 2013

Here's the user guide version Mike was talking about.

I only messed with it up to and right after the picture of Shane.

The goals were (and I'm not sure I succeeded in reaching them):
- relatively formal (i.e. leave little room for ambiguity)
- try to use a single term for any given concept (we should be extra
careful about this since we developed all these synonyms that we are
comfortable with but may be confusing for new users)
- examples backing up most statements about the language. In particular,
users should be able to quickly figure out stuff by just looking at the
examples, and the text is used mostly to clarify subtle points not
obvious from the examples.
- links to relevant sections whenever a major concept particular to
swift is used and its meaning not clearly obvious.
- hopefully correct grammar/syntax/spelling and simple sentences.
- "see also" lists at the end of every section for concepts somewhat
related to the current section.

Mihael