[Swift-devel] Data-aware scheduling in Swift ?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 29 11:15:54 CDT 2012

Swift will place an app() call on any free node. (As Jon just replied, while I was writing this...)

If we want to do an experiment with some kind of data affinity, we can try the following hack:

- Stage-A returns the node that it ran on
- swift script passes that as an arg "preferredNode(nodeName) to Stage-B
- scheduler tries to place Stage-B on the coaster named nodeName.

Its that last part thats the trickiest, as this will require a mod to the scheduler. And it gets trickier if the scheduler needs to try to defer Stage-B until nodeName can take a new job.  It *might* be easier, in a first pass, to only place STage-B on nodeName if nodeName has a free job slot, else to place it anywhere.

But all of this will require going into the coaster scheduler code.

I suggest we do this as a joint effort; I can try, with help from Mihael and Justin, to locate the code that we'd need to modify, if you are willing to do some experiments and hacking.

- Mike