[Swift-devel] Condor with coasters question

David Kelly davidk at ci.uchicago.edu
Sat Apr 28 12:09:17 CDT 2012

Hello,

I am trying to get Swift working well on a machine that uses condor. It has 480 available slots. I am using a swift script that will run 1000 tasks.

sites.xml:
<config>
   <pool handle="uc3">
     <execution jobmanager="local:condor" provider="coaster" url="none"/>
     <filesystem provider="local" url="none" />
     <workdirectory>/home/davidk/test/benchmark-release/run012</workdirectory>
     <profile namespace="globus" key="maxNodes">480</profile>
     <profile key="slots" namespace="globus">480</profile>
     <profile key="nodeGranularity" namespace="globus">1</profile>
     <profile key="jobsPerNode" namespace="globus">1</profile>
     <profile namespace="karajan" key="jobThrottle">1000</profile>
     <profile namespace="karajan" key="initialScore">10000</profile>
   </pool>
</config>

cf:
wrapperlog.always.transfer=true
sitedir.keep=false
execution.retries=0
lazy.errors=false
status.mode=provider
use.provider.staging=false
provider.staging.pin.swiftfiles=true
foreach.max.threads=1000

What I am seeing is that only ~70 tasks are active at once. When I look at condor_q, I see there are ~70 jobs that I have submitted, no more, none idle. Any ideas where this limit is coming from?

I thought I would be around this by setting nodeGranularity to 50. But when I do this, what seems to happen is that there are 50 machines allocated per 1 worker.pl which would make sense for an MPI job, but not what I want here. (The condor submit script sets machine_count to 50, but only queues 1)

I can get around this now by using the plain condor provider, but ideally would like to use coasters.

Thanks,
David