[Swift-devel] How to increase Swift-coaster task rate

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 27 13:33:33 CDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 21:44 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> We need to re-run the tests on a machine we can get to. The current tests were run for us by a Cray engineer, and we havent tarred the logs back yet.
>
> Submit host machine was a 6-core Cray login host, probably AMD at 2.5GHz or so, probably 32GB RAM.

Looks beefy enough. It should give you a better rate than 80j/s.

> Coaster service was local in Swift jvm. Can try a separate service.

That's going to be the fastest, so I'd keep it that way.

> Java was (I think) Sun 1.6.0_21, IBM Java is there. Not sure if Java was 64 bit.
>
> Jon will re-run clean tests on the Raven Cray where we have full access.
>
> Advice on dialing the logging way down would be valuable. Outside of that we're trying to avoid all ancillary touches of shared filesystems.

The obvious: disable worker logging, make sure that the amount of
logging is minimal, don't enable provenance logging, etc.

But I'm assuming that's already the case, that's why I want logs.

Mihael