[Swift-devel] Unix command from Swift run-time

Emalayan Vairavanathan svemalayan at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 12:43:02 CDT 2012

Hi All,

I have a question.

I need to do the following to integrate MosaStore with extended attributes + Swift+ Application.

1) Execute a Unix command to find the location of a file from my swift-program.

2) Then need to use the output of this command as an input to the swift-app (remote) procedure so that it will be scheduled where the file is located (see below).

app read_file (file input, string machine){
    readperf @input "machine=" + machine;
}
One way is to get the location of a file in another swift-app procedure as below. But this will be executed locally/remotely through a worker.

app (file outputFile) getIP (string filename){

}

Given that Swift run-time has access to Mosa on the head-node is there any other way to do this task with low cost  (may be directly executing this command without going through a worker? ). Can I use external mappers /
variable declared as external type / some other way ?

If you have an example program in the repository please point me to that.

Thank youEmalayan.