[Swift-devel] Update

Jonathan Monette jonmon at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 20 10:18:16 CDT 2012

On Apr 20, 2012, at 10:09, Michael Wilde <wilde at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]

I think David already made the changes to 0.93 and trunk. I have not tested them yet and not sure if he updated the release on Beagle.

>> 2) I added a line to the swift bash script to echo a warning message
>> if SWIFT_HOME is set manually and what it is set too. I know this
>> problem has bit you in the butt before and it seemed to have bit
>> Gustav over the weekend. Is this a solution that you feel would solve
>> the SWIFT_HOME set wrong problem?
>
> Sounds reasonable to say "SWIFT_HOME set to NNN".  If we agree that this is only used in exceptional cases, can say "WARNING: SWIFT_HOME overidden to NNN. This may affect correct behavior." or something like that.

Ok. I can change that message. Any other suggestions on what it should say?

> We should also remove the currently annoying message about sites file overridden. That is not helping anything and just adding noise.

I think that is coming from inside Swift and not the bash script itself.

> Please discuss (1) and (2) on Swift devel and at today's meeting.

Sure. And what time is the meeting? At 1?

>> 3) I am finishing up small scale test files that uses the compute
>> nodes on Raven and Hera to send to Dave. Should be done within the
>> hour.
>
> I see Dave's report on these. Lets discuss the bencmark.
>
>> 4) I have an initial script that averages a group of data lines in the
>> XY column data I have from a full scale SciColSim run(this was
>> Justin's suggestion). I am going to apply this to my data and replot
>> and send the plot. I will then commit this util script to trunk for
>> the plotting tools.
>
> Still waiting to see this, I think?
>
>> I will send an update at the end of the day of what was accomplished
>> and what issues are blocking me.
>
> ?
>
> Q: Can we use the benchmark to get a full scicol sim run done?

Depending on how long Dave can get the machine dedicated for him, yes I believe so. If he can only get an hour I think it would be highly unlikely. But if he can get several hours I think yes. I am going to start running tests for the higher TIs on Raven to get a feel for the time requirements.

> Also: whats the state of testing reproducibility for SciCol with the BOOST RNG?
>
> I discussed this with Justin; they want reproducibility for testing.  Can we generate a vector of RN's up front wherever reproducibility depends on task ordering? (I can discuss what this means...)

I have some changes. Just need testing.