[Swift-devel] Plotting

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.iit.edu
Fri Apr 13 11:57:47 CDT 2012

I also had scripts, and sometimes even Java programs that would take
some large log(s) and summarize it, to make it easier to plot.
Sometimes, plotting things was really a multi-stage process, but the
plots many times came out looking pretty good in a relatively automated
fashion. But it took lots of tinkering with scripts, programs, and the
plotting software to make it happen, and much of it was specific to the
logs I was looking at (in my case, they were Falkon logs).

Ioan

On 4/13/2012 11:53 AM, Justin M Wozniak wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Jonathan Monette wrote:
>
>> I have thought about going through the large data set file and averaging
>> together points that are very close together(within some epsilon).  Is
>> this a solid approach?  Is there any way of telling the plot routine(gnu
>> plot or the plotter Justin made with JFreeChart) to do this for me?
>> What other techniques could I try to shorten the amount of data that is
>> being plotted?
> The plotter does not currently support this.
>
> I think this would be a nice, short, reusable script.  I would take the
> two-column XY file and a window size.  In each window, average X and Y.
> This should be fine for worker load plots and things like that.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory, MCS/ANL
Cel:    1-847-722-0876
Office: 1-312-567-5704