[Swift-devel] persistent coasters and data staging

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 12 13:56:19 CDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 11:58 -0500, Ketan Maheshwari wrote:

> After some discussion with Mike, Our conclusion from these runs was
> that the parallel data transfers are causing timeouts from the
> worker.pl, further, we were undecided if somehow the timeout threshold
> is set too agressive plus how are they determined and whether a change
> in that value could resolve the issue.

Something like that. Worker.pl would use the time when a file transfer
started to determine timeouts. This is undesirable. The purpose of
timeouts is to determine whether the other side has stopped from
properly following the flow of things. It follows that any kind of
activity should reset the timeout... timer.

I updated the worker code to deal with the issue in a proper way. But
now I need your help. This is perl code, and it needs testing.

So can you re-run, first with some simple test that uses coaster staging
(just to make sure I didn't mess something up), and then the version of
your tests that was most likely to fail?