[Swift-devel] Next steps on SwiftR - re Fwd: [Swift-user] Do you have any resource for learning about SwiftR?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 9 08:41:31 CDT 2011

Comments inline...

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tim Armstrong" <tga at uchicago.edu>
> Subject: Re: Next steps on SwiftR - re Fwd: [Swift-user] Do you have any resource for learning about SwiftR?
> I'm going to have a look at the CRAN docs. It sounds like it won't
> meet CRAN standards as it requires a pre-built version of swift to be
> bundled. I can look into what it would take to get it up to spec
> there.

It should be feasible to do an svn co of Swift source and build it to create the Swift dist from within the SwiftR build. Would that pass CRAN requirements? Only way to find out I think is to test it and then submit to CRAN.

> I think we only have two serious sources of documentation: the wiki
> page and the R docs. My website was only really intended to show the
> benchmarks. I've removed the installation instructions from that page,
> so there is now no real documentation on there. I agree it would make
> sense to consolidate the documentation. Maybe the most sensible
> approach would be to have the R help docs be the canonical version,
> and generate a web version of those docs that would be released at the
> same time as new versions of the package.

I agree - that sounds best. Lets post it on the Swift web and also link there from the OpenMx wiki.

> Then all the authoritative documentation (including Quickstart, FAQ,
> Troubleshooting, etc) would be consolidated in that place.

Yes, that seems the best approach.

> Any
> supplemental documentation that doesn't really make sense to include
> in the CRAN package, e.g. about running SwiftR on particular clusters,
> could then remain on the SWFT wiki.

Lets move that to asciidoc within the Swift web.

> I agree with the additional sites. Beagle we should get going, and
> having good support for Teragrid and OSG makes a lot of sense. I'm
> still not sure what the best way to manage custom Swift configs would
> be. I think that leaving users to hand-write configs from scratch is
> too error-prone. Good documentation + a bunch of working examples is
> probably the most realistic solution, but it would be nice to allow a
> wider set of configurations to be used directly from R without editing
> swift configs. The one thing that springs to mind now is automatic
> resource provisioning: I have that working with PBS, but not with the
> full range of clusters

We should integrate this with Swift gensites which David is developing to make swift configuration easier.

- Mike