[Swift-devel] Semantics of multidimensional arrays in Swift

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Nov 18 09:35:13 CST 2011

> actual behaviour of the implementation.  Am I correct then in thinking
> that mixing array-wise and cell-wise assignment for the same element
> like below is invalid (or at least not an intended use case for swift)?

The in-my-head version of swift says that is invalid. The implementation
appears a little more fickle. Not sure what other people have to say.

I found it very hard to develop static checking of array assignment,
because while I believe a[0]=b;a[0][1]=1; to be invalid, I'm fairly happy
that a[0]=b;a[1][1]=1 is valid, because you are not overlapping
definitions of elements.

I'm fairly happy to believe that the multiple writer checking doesn't
match up with my beliefs above... this array assignment syntax is pretty
horrible.