[Swift-devel] Getting VMs from FG for use with swift

John Bresnahan bresnaha at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 20 19:20:48 CDT 2011

Our phone call today left me motiviated to show you guys how easy it is to get virtual machines for
use with swift on FutureGrid.

I made some small scripts around the Nimbus tool cloudinitd.  The scripts just make installing the
software and running it trivial.  With a single command you can get N VMs from the FutureGrid Nimbus
clouds (N can be on the order of hundreds).  When the tool is done it outputs a line separated list
of hostnames.  All of these hostnames have root access available via your ~/.ssh/id_rsa keys.

If/when you have FutureGrid credentials, untar the attachment and give it a try.  There are a few
minor configurations needed:

1) edit the file env.sh and set your FutureGrid security credentials:

% cat env.sh
export FUTUREGRID_IAAS_ACCESS_KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
export FUTUREGRID_IAAS_SECRET_KEY=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

export FUTUREGRID_HOTEL_NODES=2
export FUTUREGRID_SIERRA_NODES=2

You can also change the value '2' to be whatever number of VMs you want.

2) install it on your system.  (this single command downloads and installs everything you need under
the cwd):

% ./install.sh

3) boot the VMs
% ./bin/bootit.sh.

You will see much status output, but the last several lines will be the hostnames acquired from the
cloud.

Let me know when you guys are ready to check this out!