[Swift-devel] Setting up swift dev environment in Eclipse

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 14 17:17:09 CDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 03:33 +0530, Yadu Nand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up a development environment in Eclipse (Helios 3.6.2)
> on ubuntu 10.10. I've gotten eclipse running but I'm facing some trouble
> importing the source. I've listed out some issues that need clarification,
> any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 1. The online doc [1] says just a File > Import is enough, but helios needs
> a project to start with. So I made a project, and in the setup wizard added
> the source.

Which doc?

Import -> Existing Project Into Workspace.

So you don't need to create a project.

> 2. There is an option to choose which version of java to use, I opted for
> java-6-sun-1.6.0.24

That's fine.

> 3. I tried to build from within eclipse but that generated some 30000+
> errors. In order to step through the control flow, I need to get the code
> to compile from the IDE, using ant from the commandline doesn't help
> here.

Not really. You can start the swift jvm with remote debugging enabled
and then connect to the jvm from eclipse. There should be information
online on how exactly to do that. Though you should still have the
sources visible in eclipse.

Mihael