[Swift-devel] virtual clusters an swift

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 10 15:59:00 CDT 2011

Hi John,

For cloud use, Swift uses a resource-provisioning mechanism called "coasters" which is introduced here:

  http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/userguide.php#coasters

and

  http://wiki.cogkit.org/wiki/Coasters

This short paper from the recent CCA-11 workshop explains a bit more on the cloud configuration:

  http://cca11.org/files/2011/04/p16.pdf

To configure for a cloud: on every cloud worker node, start a coaster "worker". This is is Perl script, worker.pl, located in the Swift bin/ dir. Command line args tell worker.pl to connect either to a Swift client, or to an intermediary Swift coaster-service.  Using the coaster-service will allow you to create a long-lived Swift coaster pool that can support the repeated execution of Swift scripts by Swift client tasks.

We'll locate and package up for you a simple set of startup scripts that can be run on any collection of hosts that you can ssh to, as well as the scripts that we used on Bionimbus (which used ssh port forwarding).

- Mike