[Swift-devel] duplicated job submission in swift-0.92?

Jonathan Monette jon.monette at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:02:50 CDT 2011

The cache already contains
localhost:movies-20110330-1636-ev8vm8gb/shared/output/rerun1/histories.pickled-1.
What does this mean? I have seen this line before in execution and do not
know what it means.  Why is Swift complaining about this? Does this mean
this file has already been staged in?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Ketan Maheshwari <
ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhao,
>
> [Quick spontaneous answer:]
>
> I just tried to run a very simple script (attached relevant files zipped)
> and it worked without any errors for me.
>
> May be you can try that and I will try yours to see what we can reproduce.
>
> Sorry gmail doesnt like to attach so here is the link:
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~ketan/files/tmp.tgz
>
> Regards,
> Ketan
>

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Zhao Zhang <zhaozhang at uchicago.edu>wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am seeing something weird in swfit-0.92. Any idea about this?
>> The swift script is very simple:
>>
>> zzhang at sandbox:~/workplace/Andrey> cat movies.swift
>> type Pickle {}
>> type History {}
>> type Image {}
>>
>> app (History historyout) movie_graph (int rerun, int epochs, Pickle
>> picklefile)
>> {
>>   movie_graph rerun epochs;
>> }
>>
>> int arr[];
>> iterate i
>> {
>>  arr[i] = i+1;
>> }until(i == 1);
>>
>> int epochs;
>> epochs = 3;
>> Pickle picklefile <single_file_mapper; file="for_movies.pickled">;
>> foreach a in arr{
>>  History historyout <single_file_mapper; file=@strcat("output/rerun", a,
>> "/histories.pickled-", a)>;
>>  historyout = movie_graph(a, epochs, picklefile);
>> }
>>

>> I ran the script with the latest 0.92 version, which is loaded as a module
>> on beagle. The I saw this:
>> zzhang at sandbox:~/workplace/Andrey> swift -tc.file ./tc.data movies.swift
>> Variable epochs defined in scope 99878388 shadows variable of same name in
>> scope 1813605401
>> Variable picklefile defined in scope 99878388 shadows variable of same
>> name in scope 1813605401
>> Swift svn swift-r4157 cog-r3056
>>
>> RunID: 20110330-1636-ev8vm8gb
>> Progress:
>> Progress:  Selecting site:3  Active:1
>> Progress:  Selecting site:3  Checking status:1
>> Progress:  Selecting site:2  Stage in:1  Finished successfully:1
>> Progress:  Selecting site:2  Active:1  Finished successfully:1
>> Progress:  Selecting site:2  Active:1  Finished successfully:1
>> Progress:  Selecting site:1  Stage in:1  Finished successfully:2
>> Progress:  Selecting site:1  Active:1  Finished successfully:2
>> Progress:  Selecting site:1  Checking status:1  Finished successfully:2
>> The cache already contains
>> localhost:movies-20110330-1636-ev8vm8gb/shared/output/rerun1/histories.pickled-1.
>>
>> Execution failed:
>>        The cache already contains
>> localhost:movies-20110330-1636-ev8vm8gb/shared/output/rerun1/histories.pickled-1.
>>

>> Then I switched to an older version, it worked well.
> [...]

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein