[Swift-devel] Proposal for coaster service options

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 10 08:27:46 CST 2011

Mihael,

I want to work with Ketan to make the various coater startup scripts that we've developed suitable and documented for end user use.

As a start, can you consider something like the following enhancement to coaster-service:

-L  Go into passive mode
-s  service port
-S  file to write service port number to
    (forces dynamic port selection starting with -s port number)
-w  passive worker connection port
-W  file to write worker port to
    (forces dynamic port selection starting with -s port number)

This would make the startup scripts much simpler and cleaner: we would not have to run a dummy swift script to force the service to go into passive mode, and we would not have to scrape the standard output for the passive port number, and we could control whether we use a fixed port or a dynamically selected port.