[Swift-devel] Plan for managing Swift docs

Sarah Kenny skenny at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 9 17:04:12 CST 2011

hi all, here's a list of tasks, based on mike's email, that ketan and i
discussed and think can be fairly easily assigned as action items. we
determined which ones we think we can/should work on and i'm taking a stab
at assigning the others. feel free to edit as you see fit and then ideally
we can get them into bugzilla.

*Google docs/sites for Swift User doc *

* *

1 KETAN move all our current doc to google
2 KETAN determine method for save/review/push to live site (google’s java
app for dumping to file)
3 JUSTIN keeping the docs in sync with the trunk and releases. Ability to
associate (and get) the docs for any release branch
4 KETAN content writing and management guide to encourage writing and
maintain quality and conventions
5 KETAN clear/uniform look and feel with ability to change the style
throughout, when needed (example:
https://sites.google.com/a/brain-connectivity-toolbox.net/bct/Home)
6 KETAN code testing: how to ensure that code examples in the docs are
correct?
 7 DAVID maintenance of external links (eg Google vs svn)
8 DAVID ability to (automatically) render PDF’s, standalone HTML, and text
9 SKENNY ability to index terms
10 SKENNY automated system for tracking and publishing changes

11 SKENNY Define document structure & substructure:  Site, Quickstart,
Tutorial, User Guide, Cookbook (should eventually go into user guide), and
Case Studies.

12 SKENNY migrate all of the SWFT wiki content (including docbooks which
should go in user doc). (eventually decomission).
13 MIHAEL determine timeline for transition

14 SKENNY make URL more transparent/CI-branded
15 DAVID site style improvements (eg logo stripe; page width , etc)
16 KETAN determine best editor: google sites vs google docs

17 KETAN table of contents management.
18 DAVID how to track/address comments for public revision control? (eg,
posting to svn log? Automated tool?)
19 SKENNY determine site, page, and doc naming convetions
20 DAVID Use of Google Groups for access control

~sk