[Swift-devel] Associative array in Swift [GSoC]

Yadu Nand yadudoc1729 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 04:51:11 CDT 2011

> I'd say many things conspired to make m/r work: came from google, simple
> concept, efficiently distribut-able, etc. But yes, for I/O bound things
> minimizing data movement is an important aspect. However, that is a
> scheduling issue which is somewhat orthogonal to the language issue. It
> is not currently done by swift, but we previously explored data location
> biasing for site selection, but we never got to actually writing
> committable code for it.

Should we look into data location biasing again ?
As Michael had mentioned earlier, the ability to do a preprocessing of
intermediate data from the map stage before going into reduce is
interesting. Hadoop already does that in the (optional) [1] combine step.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopMapReduce
--
Thanks and Regards,
Yadu Nand B