[Swift-devel] Associative array in Swift [GSoC]

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jun 24 01:44:43 CDT 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> I'd say many things conspired to make m/r work: came from google, simple
> concept, efficiently distribut-able, etc. But yes, for I/O bound things
> minimizing data movement is an important aspect. However, that is a
> scheduling issue which is somewhat orthogonal to the language issue. It
> is not currently done by swift, but we previously explored data location
> biasing for site selection, but we never got to actually writing
> committable code for it.

Something even less implemented was talk of interfacing to some replica management system which would be aware that the same data could exist in multiple places and do useful things based on that. Useful things might be only running on sites that already had the data, and staging from that site's store (which integrates replica location into the pick site / stage data / run job process at at least two places)