[Swift-devel] readData2

Justin M Wozniak wozniak at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 1 21:04:03 CDT 2011

fopen(3) is smart enough to know that "r" means read.  Certainly Swift is
smarter than fopen.

However, I think there is a lot of value in allowing users to read
unformatted, "one value per line" data and I don't think we should force
users to convert possibly large text files into Swift format.  So, I think
there is value in keeping the two functionalities separate.

If we're going to mandate a file format, we should try to be compatible
with JSON or something.  But I don't think we should mandate a file
format.

 	Justin

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Tim Armstrong wrote:

> You could go full unix shell style and call it "rd"
>
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Mihael Hategan <hategan at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 18:04 -0700, Sarah Kenny wrote:
>>> my 2 cents...readStruct...slightly more succinct :)
>>
>> 2 more cents: read. Can't get much better than that.
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Jonathan S Monette <jonmon at utexas.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>         I am all for dropping readData. writeData would have to be
>>>         modified to output data for "readData2".
>>>
>>>         Do you have a better name? I thought maybe readMapping or
>>>         readExplicitMapping but Justin said the mapping term maybe
>>>         should not be used in this case.
>>>

>>>         On Jul 1, 2011 6:12 PM, "Mihael Hategan" <hategan at mcs.anl.gov>
>>>         wrote:
>>>        > On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 13:40 -0500, Jonathan Monette wrote:
>>>        >> Hello,
>>>        >> I am going to rename readData2 to something more
>>>         meaningful. I am
>>>        >> thinking maybe readStructured? I will keep readData2 as an
>>>         alias to
>>>        >> the renamed function as too not break anyones current code
>>>         but the
>>>        >> userguide will reflect the renamed function. Any
>>>         suggestions on the
>>>        >> name or is readStructured good?
>>>        >
>>>        > I think we should drop readData and slowly replace it with
>>>         readData2.
>>>        > readStructured doesn't seem to be more illuminating to me.
>>>        >
>>>        >

>>> --
>>> Sarah Kenny
>>> Programmer
>>> University of Chicago, Computation Institute
>>> University of California Irvine, Dept. of Neurology
>>> 773-818-8300

Justin M Wozniak