[Swift-devel] Re: provider staging stage-in rate on localhost and PADS

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 19 10:29:37 CST 2011

I forgot to also state regarding the test below:
- tried both stagingMethod proxy and file - no significant perf diff
- tried workersPerNode > 8 (10 seemed to cause slight degradation, so I went back to 8; this test may have just been noise)
- I used this recent swift and cog: Swift svn swift-r3997 cog-r3029 (cog modified locally)

I think the following tests would be good to do in the micro-series:

- re-do the above on a quiet dedicated PADS cluster node (qsub -I)

- try the test with just input and just output
- try the test with a 1-byte file (to see what the protocol issues are)
- try the test with a 30MB file (to try to replicate Mihaels results)

- try testing from one pads node client to say 3-4 other pads nodes (again, with either qsub -I or a swift run with auto coasters and the maxNode and nodeGranularity set to say 4 & 4 (or 5 & 5, etc)

This last test will probe the ability of swift to move more tasks/sec when there are more concurrent app-job endpoints (ie when swift is driving more cores).  We *think* swift trunk should be able to drive >100 tasks/sec - maybe even 200/sec - when the configuration is optimized: all local disk use; log settings tuned, perhaps; throttles set right; ...)

Then also try swift fast branch, but Mihael needs to post (or you need to check in svn) whether all the latest provider staging improvements have been, or could be, applied to fast branch.

Lastly, for the wide area test:

10 OSG sites
try to keep say 2 < N < 10 workers active per site (using queue-N COndor script) with most sites having large numbers of workers. That should more closely mimic the load your will need to drive for the actual application.
workersPerNode=1

The wan test will likely require more thought.

- Mike