[Swift-devel] Re: Swift hang

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 18 18:14:04 CST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 18:03 -0600, Jonathan Monette wrote:
> > 2011-01-05 12:48:37,734-0600 INFO  CoasterService Idle time: 125670
> > 2011-01-05 12:48:37,735-0600 WARN  CoasterService Idle time exceeded.
> > Shutting down service.
> I think Swift reported this that the service was shutdown due to idle
> time exceeded but I assumed that the service restarted when needed.  At
> least that is the assumption that I have been going off of.

The reason for having the idle timeout is to prevent services from
taking up resources when there is no work being done and to also prevent
services from staying up when the client has died.

In the local case, since they go down with the JVM and they do not
fundamentally eat more resources (the JVM stays up anyway), this
mechanism has no good reason to be. Whether it's restarted or not,
maybe. But simpler code I trust more.

Also, I'll commit the two new fixes to the stable branch.

Mihael