[Swift-devel] Re: provider staging stage-in rate on localhost and PADS

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jan 16 20:58:16 CST 2011

Ok, so I committed a fix to make the worker send files a bit faster and
adjusted the buffer sizes a bit. There is a trade-off between per worker
performance and number of workers, so this should probably be a setting
of some sort (since when there are many workers, the client bandwidth
becomes the bottleneck).

With a plain cat, 4 workers, 1 job/w, and 32M files I get this:
[IN]: Total transferred: 7.99 GB, current rate: 23.6 MB/s, average rate:
16.47 MB/s
[MEM] Heap total: 155.31 MMB, Heap used: 104.2 MMB
[OUT] Total transferred: 8 GB, current rate: 0 B/s, average rate: 16.49
MB/s
Final status:  time:498988  Finished successfully:256
Time: 500.653, rate: 0 j/s

So the system probably sees 96 MB/s combined reads and writes. I'd be
curious how this looks without caching, but during the run the computer
became laggy, so it's saturating something in the OS and/or hardware.

I'll test on a cluster next.