[Swift-devel] Re: provider staging stage-in rate on localhost and PADS

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jan 16 19:28:22 CST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 18:56 -0600, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Mihael,
>
> If I follow this right, your stageout rate (7MB/sec) is about what Allan saw for stage ins (~ 6MB/sec as I recall).

That is also close to what I get if I disable read-ahead for stage-ins.

> But your stagein rate is 59MB/sec and 73MB/sec depending on the mode (file vs proxy).

That was experiment error. They both average around 60MB/s after
repeated runs. Though in the local/local case "file" has considerably
lower memory consumption that "proxy".

> So that does not yet replicate what he's seeing (on the WAN).

No. Just local. I wanted to see if the code was introducing a
significant bottleneck, but it does not seem so. Though keep in mind
that this was on an SSD. An HDD may not get the same performance. I gave
the raw dd numbers for comparison. In the local/local case, one should
probably divide that by two since with swift you are both reading and
writing the data at the same time, while the dd test was from /dev/zero.