[Swift-devel] coaster-service -passive option

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 12 09:01:29 CST 2011

was: Re: devel prios for Mihael

> > > - add option to set coaster-service to passive mode
> >
> > - low prio. Is its trivial to add?
> >

> What is this?

The coaster-service command needs an option to set it into passive mode.

A primary use case for this command is to stand up a persistent service with persistent workers which are started by external means (i.e. outside of coaster-service). To do that, the service needs to be in passive mode.

We have worked around that to date by running a dummy Swift script that runs a single dummy app() call, using a sites entry with a coaster execution provider with passive mode set. Thats the only way I know of to force the service to passive mode.

The command line option suggested above to coaster-service would eliminate the need for this hack.