[Swift-devel] Log processing and language reference documentation

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 24 12:46:11 CDT 2011

Hi David,

----- Original Message -----

Justin and any users of the log tools, can you comment?

> Is it worth converting to asciidoc and putting
> on the new website?

I feel yes - these tools are pretty important and we want to keep pushing to make them more usable and more used.

> I have a similar question for the language reference. Do people still
> make changes to it, and is it worth converting?

Its not changed in years, is woefully out of date.

I feel its worth converting, but not now: probably part of a re-write at some much later date. Till then lets focus on making the user guide be the definitive definition of the language. We should incorporate any relevant info from the recent language paper into the user guide.

> Also, is there any place to get an up to date list of swift reserved
> words? It took me a few minutes to figure out why my swift code wasn't
> compiling. I had named a variable 'in' and it was conflicting with the
> 'in' used by foreach.

That would be good to state in the user guide. Mihael, Justin, or Ben, can you comment on this based on your knowledge of the parser?  Is this encoded into an ANTLR spec that can be translated into a user guide table?

- Mike