[Swift-devel] CCA-11 Swift Poster Visitor's Questions

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 13 14:13:02 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 09:43 -0500, Ketan Maheshwari wrote:
> Mihael,
>

> > Some are interesting. Do you want any of them answered?
>
> May be, I would like to know more on these:
>
> >> -- Is this similar to map/reduce?, Are you planning to compare Swift/coasters with map/reduce?

A full comparison is not a short thing.

I guess if I was to sum it up in few words then map/reduce is a system
to run two functions/combinators (map and reduce) on a distributed
system whereas Swift is a Turing-complete language that can run
arbitrary compositions of apps on a distributed system, including
map/reduce like things.

In other words Swift can do MapReduce, but MapReduce cannot do Swift.

> >> -- Would it benefit me if I chuck Python and use Swift instead for my GIS related app?

Maybe, maybe not. If your GIS related app adds two number then probably
not.

> >> -- Is the coasters scheduling algorithm published somewhere?

I need to finish that paper, and I need help with the numbers, so not
yet.