[Swift-devel] CCA-11 Swift Poster Visitor's Questions

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 00:00:38 CDT 2011

Here is a list of questions asked by the visitors of our swift poster at the CCA-11 poster session [poster attached here] earlier this evening:

-- What is the novelty in this stuff? Meta-scheduling has been done in the past; scalability studies have also been done in the past (by Swift too).

-- Is this similar to map/reduce?

-- Are you planning to compare Swift/coasters with map/reduce?

-- What do people do without Swift in this same scenario (multi-clouds)?

-- This looks similar to Condor glide-ins!?

-- (After explaining the coasters mechanism) What is sites script again? (some more explaining that it is not script it is a descriptor) And again what is that sites file?

-- What happens without Coasters?

-- What do I need to run Swift on my cluster?

-- Would it benefit me if I chuck Python and use Swift instead for my GIS related app?

-- The simplicity of script-code seems deceptive!?!

-- Is the coasters scheduling algorithm published somewhere?