[Swift-devel] Memory in Swift

Jonathan Monette jon.monette at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 13:03:09 CDT 2010

  Hello,
     I have two questions.

     1) What is the maximum value for SWIFT_HEAP_MAX?  Is it the maximum
memory available on the machine?  If I ask for 8Gb will the Java heap
space be 8Gb?
     2) Assuming that the above question does not fix my problem, what
can be done to fix memory problems in Swift?  How should a Swift script
be programmed to avoid these issues or is how Swift handles memory not
optimal.  I have a set of about 4100 images that will be stitched
together to form a mosaic.  The size of this set is 8.1Gb.  Right now in
my sites file I set SWIFT_HEAP_MAX to 4096M(4Gb) but I am still getting
out of memory errors with the Java heap space.  Is Swift just not able
to scale up to this size of data yet?

--
Jon

Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
- Albert Einstein