[Swift-devel] Hi all,

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 5 13:12:00 CDT 2010

Hi Chaturanga,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Yes, you and your fellow students should feel free to  work on some of the projects on the GSoC list, or similar ones.

The project related to making Swift use a catalog of distributed file replicas as the basis for its data management is an interesting one. I can share with you some discussion I had with other students on this. To do it in a user-ready manner is a hard project, but some interesting parts of it can be developed as a class project.

Another project is to add associative arrays to Swift, so that in addition to saying i = values[j] you can also say i = values["someKey"] - ie, permit string indices.

A third project would be to re-work the mapper naming conventions to make code more readable and less verbose, and to fix some broken mapper semantics.

A fourth project might be to make some simple enhancements to the import() facility.

Lastly, adding namespaces to Swift would be very interesting, but perhaps very difficult as well.

I and others on the list can try to help, but please be aware that our time is often very limited and our response time may be slow or non-existent at times.

Justin, Mihael, and others will likely have additional ideas, and perhaps better judgement on the feasibility of various projects.

Regards,

Mike