[Swift-devel] Concurrent dostagein calls limited to 8 ?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Nov 14 23:03:26 CST 2010

Mihael,

I attached my vdl-int.k.  The changes were based on Justin's initial version of the external policy CDM setting, but I added the ability to handle stageout as well as stagein, and to gather all the files for a stagein or stageout in the external script, and process them all at once.

In my external script, I now batch the files for multiple requests into one larger transfer command to globusonline, using time-based batching.  This adds latency to an individual request but saves greatly overall, as globusonline will only do 3 concurrent transfers for a given user, and has its own latency for checking its work queue.

My hooks are the calls to cdm:externalin, externalout, and externalgo.

I use a map element as a reference variable to determine when to call externalgo.

All this seems to work at the basic level, but I still see only a steady state of 8 external calls running at once.

Further, I think the latency involved is causing some strange interaction with coasters which I need to send you.  My scripts run fine on localhost but fail on PADS with coasters: after about 80 of 300+ jobs I get a caster failure that I need to log and post - looks like some kind of timeout in worker.pl waiting for a response.

- Mike