[Swift-devel] Re: Welcome to the CI and Swift group

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 25 19:34:29 CDT 2010

Ben, Mihael, Justin: I've sent the following getting-started info to Dennis Touchet of UTB to help get him started on the summer project of Swift testing:

- extend local language tests
- extend testing to do good cluster and grid tests
- revive and extend continuous NMI Build & Test processing

If you have additional pointers or advice to supplement what I listed below, please provide.

Thanks,

Mike

---

Things to start reading up on and experimenting with:

- try Swift tutorials. These will be updated soon by David Kelly, who will welcome your feedback.

- download Swift source from SVN and try running the language test suite

- look at the structure of the tests to learn how to add new tests

- Read up on the NSF NMI "Build and Test System" called "Metronome" from UWisconsin:

https://nmi.cs.wisc.edu/

You should request a Metronome user login from that web site, and read their many documents.

Some Swift tests were placed under Metronome. The person who created and maintained this (and all Swift testing), Ben Clifford, left the group a year ago, and so these tests and the whole test effort stopped. With your help this summer, we want to revive that and start running and growing our tests once again.

Hope this little summary helps you get started in thinking, reading, and experimenting.

Lets do a phone call when you are ready to start, and then have you join regular (hopefully daily) short group phone calls to coordinate our efforts.

I will echo the essence of this email to the Swift-devel list so that people can chime in with hopefully helpful advice.

Regards,

Mike